Sumary of World Brain Day 2021: How does Covid-19 affect the brain?:
- Just like other organs in the body, the virus is understood to affect the brain as well.
- According to a study by WebMD, about 1 in 7 persons, who have had Covid-19, have developed neurological side effects, or symptoms that affected their brain function.
- Dr Vinay Goyal, director, neurology at Institute of Neurosciences, Medanta, says based on research, there are four predominant ways in which the COVID-19 virus can affect the brain: 1. The virus may have the capacity to intrude the brain, causing a severe and sudden infection.
- 3. Physiological changes that the body undergoes due to the virus, which can account for brain dysfunction.
- In case these blood clots narrow the arteries leading to the brain, one can suffer a stroke.
- Brain Fog ‘Brain Fog’ is the term commonly used for referring to Covid complications of the brain.
- Dr Goyal says it “encompasses various lingering symptoms of the virus related to the brain”.
- “These symptoms are commonly experienced a few weeks after recovering from the virus.