Sumary of Worms can affect vaccine efficacy: lessons for COVID-19?:
- Over a year since the first case of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, fast advances in vaccine development have given the world a fighting chance against the coronavirus.
- SARS-CoV-2 vaccines have become leading instruments against severe health effects associated with COVID-19 disease.
- SARS-CoV-2 vaccines reduce severe disease and improve survival of infected patients.
- Their impact has been seen in developed countries where mass vaccination has been most efficient.
- In developing regions, such as many African countries, SARS-CoV-2 vaccination campaigns have been relatively slow.
- The impact of COVID-19 has differed among developing African countries.
- Vaccine coverage of the continent is still low as countries await adequate supplies.
- But there is an added worry: the effectiveness of vaccines in developing countries, particularly those with very high levels of chronic parasitic infections.