Sumary of 3 Ways Your Diet Is Making You Vulnerable to the Delta Variant:
- It’s a fact: The best available tool to protect yourself from being hospitalized by the Delta variant is the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Below, you’ll learn three ways in which your diet may potentially put you in harm’s way of COVID-19. We also share the findings of a brand new study that pinpoints one diet’s possible ability to protect you from experiencing severe symptoms.
- , Ashley Kitchens, MPH, RD, LDN, explained that consuming a diet full of ultra-processed foods could potentially increase your chances of experiencing adverse complications of COVID-19. To be clear, eating fast food or a bag of chips won’t directly cause you to experience complications with COVID-19 or the Delta variant.
- Before vaccines were available, many health experts found that those with certain underlying conditions were more likely to experience severe COVID-19 symptoms.
- “Individuals who have serious heart conditions, like cardiovascular disease, and a body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher fall under the category of those who are at a higher risk for severe illness and adverse complications from COVID-19,” Kitchens said.