Sumary of ‘All of us need to be vigilant’: Steps to combat growing NAFLD, NASH epidemic:
- September 11, 2021 3 min read Source/Disclosures Published by: Source: Mantzoros CS. Navigating cardiometabolic risk: Current and emerging approaches in the diagnosis and treatment of NAFLD.
- Mantzoros is a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and chief of endocrinology at VA Boston Healthcare System.
- ” Strategies to treat NAFLD, prevent NASH There are currently no FDA-approved therapies specifically for NASH;
- The Mediterranean diet is inversely associated with liver steatosis and decreases 10-year CV risk in NAFLD, according to evidence from the ATTICA prospective cohort study recently published in Clinical Nutrition.
- “In an editorial we recently published in Metabolism, we recommend that patients continue statin therapies, unless one has late stage of the disease,” Mantzoros said.
- “We need larger, longer studies with stronger GLP-1 analogues or combination therapies.