Sumary of An iron deficiency could be behind your deteriorating mental health: An expert explains:
- Its deficiency can cause reduction in the amount of healthy red blood cells, which are required to carry oxygen to the body’s tissues.
- Image courtesy: Shutterstock Link between iron deficiency and mental health We spoke to Deepti Khatuja, Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Fortis Memorial Research Institute to understand this link better.
- According to Khatuja, “Iron is key when it comes to red blood cell formation.
- Image courtesy: Shutterstock Khatuja also suggested some tips to ensure that you reduce your risk of developing an iron deficiency: 1. Consume foods that are rich in iron: Make sure you’re eating green leafy vegetables, kaala chana, chiwda, and jaggery.
- If possible, try to include non-vegetarian foods in your diet such as chicken and fish.
- 2. Consume foods that help absorb iron: Khatuja recommends adding vitamin C-rich foods to help your body absorb iron.