Sumary of Diet for hypertension: 5 key foods to add to your diet, 4 to avoid for high blood pressure:
- Hypertension – also known as high blood pressure – occurs when blood pressure reaches unhealthy levels, often due to lifestyle factors like diet and weight, but sometimes as a byproduct of other health conditions.
- When someone has high blood pressure, their arteries narrow making it harder for blood to pass through the body.
- If you are worried about your blood pressure, you can get it checked at a routine GP appointment.
- Genetics, lifestyle factors and environment can all contribute to someone having high blood pressure, and so there are some steps you can take to prevent or even lower your blood pressure.
- Berries contain antioxidants which studies have found can help reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
- Dark ChocolateAccording to Medical News Today, a review of 15 trials suggests cocoa-rich chocolate reduces blood pressure in people with hypertension or prehypertension.
- You will need to look for high-quality dark chocolate with a minimum of 70 percent cocoa and eat one square a day.
- Medical News Today reported one review of nine studies found “eating probiotics can have a modest effect on high blood pressure”.