Sumary of Do you need to eat like a professional athlete?:
- for example, Tour de France cyclists probably needed 6-7,000 calories a day.
- This means, he says, getting your five-a-day of fruit and vegetables, choosing mainly wholegrain carbohydrates like wholegrain bread, whole wheat pasta or brown rice, and eating a variety of different protein sources, including plant-based proteins like beans and lentils, alongside animal proteins like meat, fish and eggs.
- (Although, plant-based diets are growing in popularity among athletes too.
- “It may be beneficial to spread protein intake through the day – think about ways you could include lean protein at breakfast, including eggs, beans, yoghurt or fish,” he says.
- While animal proteins provide all the amino acids the body needs, it’s also good to include plant proteins as they provide a different range of nutrients, and are high in fibre and low in fat.