Sumary of Eager to know all about intermittent fasting? An expert fills you in:
- Intermittent fasting has been doing the rounds for a while now, but is it worth the hype?
- Listen to this article We often hear of the word ‘fasting’, but what does it really mean?
- By definition, fasting means ‘to eat sparingly or abstain from eating certain foods’.
- We have been hearing a lot about intermittent fasting, but let’s first understand what fasting is!
- In fact, medical fasting dates back to as early as the 5th century BC, when Hippocrates (a Greek physician), suggested abstaining from certain foods and drinks to certain patients, so that the body could heal itself.
- Image courtesy: Shutterstock There are various kinds of fasting: Complete alternate day fasting: This regimen involves alternating fasting days (no energy-containing foods or beverages consumed) with eating days (foods and beverages consumed ad-libitum).
- Modified fasting regimen: Modified regimens allow for the consumption of 20–25% of energy needs on scheduled fasting days.
- This regimen is the basis for the popular 5:2 diet, which involves severe energy restriction for two non-consecutive days a week, and ad libitum eating the other five days.