Sumary of Good sleep-time recovery is associated with a healthier diet and lower alcohol consumption:
- Good sleep-time recovery is associated with a health-promoting diet and health-promoting eating habits, as well as with lower consumption of alcohol, according to a new study investigating psychological and physiological well-being among working-age Finnish adults.
- Their recovery was measured on the basis of sleep-time heart rate variability recorded on three consecutive nights.
- Heart rate variability was used to measure both parasympathetic and sympathetic activation of the autonomic nervous system, and their relation, i.
- The parasympathetic nervous system plays a key role in recovery, during which heart rate is decreased and heart rate variability is high.
- According to the study, higher sleep-time parasympathetic activity, which is indicative of better physiological recovery, associates with more health-promoting diet quality and lower alcohol consumption, and possibly also with eating habits, especially factors affecting our decision to eat.
- Especially participants with a good stress balance reported better overall diet quality, higher fibre intake, stronger dietary self-control and lower alcohol consumption than those with a poorer stress balance.