Sumary of Patients on dialysis received no nutritional benefit from daily energy-dense supplements:
- August 11, 2021 2 min read Source/Disclosures Published by: Disclosures: The authors report no relevant financial disclosures.
- Back to Healio For patients on hemodialysis, daily receipt of an oral fat-based energy-dense supplement had no clinically significant impact on nutritional status, results of a randomized controlled trial showed.
- “Adequate dietary energy intake is necessary to maintain nitrogen balance and body composition in maintenance hemodialysis patients.
- Low dietary energy intake Infographic content was derived from Yang Y, et al.
- “However, anorexia, comorbidities, and prescribed dietary restrictions make it challenging for maintenance hemodialysis patients to achieve adequate energy intake, which contributes to poor nutritional status.
- However, evidence regarding the effects of oral nutritional supplements on the nutritional status of such patients is limited and inconsistent.
- ” To investigate whether supplementation benefits this patient population, researchers randomized 240 patients to receive either 300 kcal daily of an oral fat-based energy-dense supplement or routine care for 12 weeks.
- Both groups were provided with dietary advice, but the control group received no nutritional supplementation.