Sumary of Popular Foods That Boost Your Immune System, Says Dietitian:
- ShutterstockWe’ll give it to you straight: despite folk wisdom, oranges and their juice aren’t a magic elixir for the common cold.
- That said, the vitamin C they contain does appear to have a positive overall effect on the immune system because it supports your cells’ barrier against pathogens and reduces damage from free radicals.
- Though ginger doesn’t launch a direct assault on viruses or bacteria, research shows that, because of its antioxidant properties, it helps reduce systemic inflammation.
- In fact, red bell peppers outdo oranges to the tune of 108 extra milligrams of vitamin C per cup.
- Get crunching on red peppers’ immune-boosting benefits with a side of hummus or a homemade ranch dressing.