Sumary of Popular Foods That Increase Inflammation, Say Dietitians:
- Over time, these lifestyle factors can create elevated levels of inflammation in the body such that it manifests through health conditions like elevated blood sugar, blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
- While corn syrup itself has been around for decades, high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) was specifically manufactured to be more shelf-stable.
- High-fructose corn syrup is digested and absorbed via the liver and produces fats that get widely distributed throughout the body.
- Lisa Andrews, RD says “a diet high in high fructose and fat may lead to fatty liver and glucose intolerance, along with inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Similar to HFCS, trans fat was created to make products more shelf-stable.
- ShutterstockOmega-6 fats are found in plant-based sources of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs).
- However, a diet that is high in omega-6 fats and low in omega-3 fats is inherently inflammatory.
- The ratio of omega 3 in relation to omega-6 can actually improve inflammatory markers as omega-3 is inherently anti-inflammatory.