Sumary of The #1 Best Food to Eat Before Bedtime, Say Dietitians:
- There is a common misconception that eating too close to bedtime will lead to weight gain.
- While nighttime eating is one habit that may contribute to extra pounds, especially when it contributes to overconsuming calories for the day, eating certain foods before bed may actually provide some benefits.
- ShutterstockOne of the benefits of consuming protein before bed is its role in tissue repair.
- Consuming protein before bed provides a dose of amino acids, the building blocks of protein, to be used for tissue maintenance overnight.
- Having those amino acids from protein available allows you to take full advantage of this natural spike in growth hormone.
- One of the other benefits of consuming protein before bed is that it has a high thermic effect.
- This refers to the natural increase in calorie burn that occurs after eating to account for the energy required to digest, metabolize and absorb food.
- Meaning, after eating protein-rich food, you will burn more calories than if you had equivalent amounts of carbohydrate- or fat-based foods.