Sumary of What is ECMO? Doctors are shocked so many ICU patients are on this advanced life support right now:
- Doctors and health experts have expressed shock on social media recently about the number of ICU patients on ECMO treatment, especially in Victoria.
- Patients who survive ECMO support may have long term health complications related to their critical illness.
- Here’s what we see as case numbers rise Outsourcing the heart and lungs In lay terms, ECMO is a heart or lung bypass machine.
- In Australia, all ECMO services are located in large city intensive care units (ICUs), though some ECMO retrieval services can initiate ECMO support in smaller hospitals before moving patients to an ECMO ICU for ongoing care.
- Medical care in the ICU is provided by large specialised teams.
- A broader allied health team including physiotherapists, dietitians, social workers and pharmacists help provide holistic care.