Sumary of 3 benefits of collagen beyond youthful skin and healthy hair:
- Collagen is a popular supplement for its purported skin and overall health benefits.
- Research suggests it could reduce injury risk and joint pain, and improve bone density.
- Collagen is becoming an increasingly popular supplement for its potential skin benefits, but also for its purported ability to help keep our bodies strong.
- Some exercise fanatics and collagen brands claim adding a scoop of collagen powder (it’s most commonly consumed in powder form dissolved in water) to your daily diet can benefit your overall health as well as your skin.
- Sophie Medlin, Consultant Dietitian and Director of CityDietitians, told Insider there is research to suggest the supplement can help limit injuries, reduce joint pain, and improve bone density.
- Collagen could help reduce injuriesCollagen is the main component of muscles, tendons and ligaments and in theory, on a high protein diet, you should be able to generate plenty of your own collagen to protect and repair these tissues, Medlin told Insider.
- However, a 2018 study on 60 athletes by the University of Freiburg suggests that taking collagen may help repair injuries to tendons and ligaments and reduce the risk of injury recurrence.
- “This means that in the near future, we may be recommending collagen supplements for these types of injuries,” Medlin said.