Sumary of 4 tips for getting abs as a fitness beginner, according to a personal trainer:
- For strong abs, compound exercises like deadlifts, presses, and rows are best, according to a trainer.
- Good nutrition, smart training, and tracking your strength progress can also help, he said.
- When you start strength training, you can take advantage of a phenomenon known as “newbie gains,” an initial period of rapid improvement in strength and muscle.
- ” Add compound movements like deadlifts, squats, presses, and rows to your workoutsTo get the most out of your time in the gym, Tamir recommends movements that use multiple large muscle groups at once as you lift a barbell, dumbbells, or kettlebells.
- Examples include overhead presses, squats, rows, and deadlifts, all of which activate your core muscles to help stabilize and control the weight.
- Since it’s much quicker (and easier) to eat calories than to burn them, trying to maintain a calorie deficit through exercise alone can result in overtraining and burnout, particularly for exercise newbies, Tamir said.
- One strategy is to have a protein source (like lean meat, eggs, fish, tofu, yogurt, or beans) and a produce (leafy greens, veggies, or fruit) every time you eat, registered dietitian Brigitte Zeitlin previously told Insider.
- Rather than spending hours on the treadmill, Tamir recommends ending your workouts with metabolic resistance training, or periods of high-intensity weightlifting with short rest periods to keep your heart rate up.