Sumary of Don’t Sugarcoat: Inform Every Patient about Their Dental Hygiene Diagnosis:
- © Светлана Наклейщиков / Adobe Stock No amount of time will be enough to do everything perfectly during each dental appointment.
- However, I’m here to tell you one easy step that you should not overlook: Always tell patients their dental hygiene diagnosis.
- We’ve all sugarcoated periodontal disease, telling patients, “Oh, you have a little bit of bleeding, but overall, things look nice!
- ” When we make these concerns seem normal, the last thing patients are going to be is concerned.
- If patients have to read through the lines of what we are telling them, there is a lot of room for misunderstanding.
- These inconclusive phrases we give to patients can stem from hygienists not feeling confident or empowered enough.
- We need to own that we are highly educated health care providers in our field and have the confidence to share our knowledge with our patients.
- So, eat healthy and try to get more exercise, and you’ll be fine!