Sumary of Epidemiologists criticise rule on face masks, say health measure should be relaxed:
- Despite Victorians waking up to more freedoms this morning, one rule remains in place, and health experts are demanding it be changed..
- “Once you’ve opened the borders up to NSW or you’re trying to encourage tourism in Victoria … then I do think telling people you can come to this state but you must wear masks all the time sends the wrong message about risks.”.
- Supplied Australian National University infectious diseases expert Professor Peter Collignon said “masks have a place when there is transmission … but wearing masks outside is not going to make a difference”..
- University of Melbourne epidemiologist Tony Blakely said it was likely authorities were waiting for Melbourne to hit 28 days with no cases..
- News Corp Australia, David Geraghty/NCA NewsWire When asked about the rule, Victoria chief health officer professor Brett Sutton stood by the Premier, saying the covering helped prevent transmission..
- It comes as more COVID-19 restrictions ease in Victoria after the state recorded nine straight days without any new infections on Sunday…