Sumary of How to quickly tone your arms in your first few months of strength training, according to a personal trainer:
- For sculpted arms, a personal trainer recommends combining compound movements with arm-focused exercises.
- Start with compound exercises like presses, pull-ups, and rows”Toning” is something of a myth — you can make muscles bigger or smaller, not change the shape.
- “For that, you’re looking for a bit of hypertrophy [muscle growth] with an overall lowering of body fat,” he said.
- To build muscle and burn fat, it pays to focus on compound exercises that activate multiple muscle groups at once, such as presses, pull-ups, rows, and planks, since they burn more calories overall.
- “If you do arms first, you’ll be too fatigued to complete the full body movements.
- “Then, you can finish with specific exercises to target the arm muscles, which won’t burn many calories on their own.
- Exercises that target the arms include tricep extensions, bicep curls, and lateral raisesWorkouts that target the arms include three major muscle groups.
- The biceps, the muscles on the front of each upper arm, often get the most attention, said Tamir.