Sumary of How to treat lower and upper back pain – the 14 things to try:
- uk chatted to Dr Deborah Lee from Dr Fox Online Pharmacy to find out 14 ways to treat lower and upper back pain.
- Dr Lee added: “It disrupts the ability to execute daily tasks, to sleep and exercise, and it results in sadness, anxiety and depression, loss of hope for the future, and causes further health anxiety.
- “Back pain also curtails daily life due to the inability to go out, leading to social isolation, and being unable to participate in hobbies and pastimes.
- ”Try applying a hot or a cold pad to the affected areaA hot water bottle wrapped in a towel, or a pack of frozen peas, can be helpful, according to Dr Lee.
- ”BiofeedbackThe biofeedback technique involves measuring the degree of muscle tension using electromyography (EMG), as well as skin temperature, heart rate and breathing rate.
- Dr Lee said: “Studies of biofeedback have shown it to have a small to medium but significant effect to lower the intensity of back pain.
- The treatment involves education about the spine and the underlying causes of back pain, Dr Lee said.
- ”Transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS)With this technique, two electrodes are placed on the skin over the painful area and a small electric current is passed.