Sumary of Instagram algorithms ‘push teen girls to weight-loss content’:
- Instagram algorithms are pushing teenage girls towards significant weight-loss content despite a flirting engagement with fitness-related images, according to new research.
- This led the explore tab to feature content about weight loss, exercise, and body sculpting, including “noticeably slim, and in some cases seemingly edited/distorted body shapes”.
- ‘Children shouldn’t be able to access inappropriate content online‘ Charity chair Lady Beeban Kidron said she was disturbed “automated pathways” exist that lead children to such images.
- Dame Rachel de Souza, the children’s commissioner for England, said: “We don’t allow children to access services and content that are inappropriate for them in the offline world.
- They shouldn’t be able to access them in the online world either.
- ” Instagram has faced previous criticism for showing anorexia in its search functions, and now puts warning labels on pro-anorexia content.