Sumary of Menopause symptoms: Two of the ‘first symptoms’ as the production of hormones decline:
- Menstrual periods may still be regular at this stage, but two signs of the impending menopause include night sweats and mood changes.
- “Lack of sleep due to night sweats may also lead to mood swings,” the organisation added.
- Lifestyle factors, such as diet and exercise, as well as medication, can all play a part in a woman’s experience in the run-up to the menopause.
- In the UK, the average age for a woman to reach menopause is 51 years of age.
- “Unwanted facial hair growth can also be explained by lack of oestrogen,” the NHS added.
- Other symptoms might include:Itchy skin, sometimes with the feeling that something is crawling on themLightheadedness/dizzinessTingling in the arms and legsBurning sensation in the mouthTinnitusBreast tenderness (and they may shrink slightly!
- Exercise is also key to staying healthy during and after the menopause, with evidence suggesting that an active lifestyle leads to less peri-menopausal symptoms.