Sumary of Mindfulness-based therapy effective alternative insomnia treatment:
- Back to Healio Mindfulness-Based Therapy for Insomnia effectively improved subjective and objective sleep quality among older adults, according to results from a randomized clinical trial published in Psychological Medicine.
- “Preliminary research has suggested that mindfulness-based treatments might be an effective alternative, and we wanted to advance our knowledge by conducting a pre-registered, high-quality trial to test the effectiveness of one such program.
- They randomly assigned 127 individuals aged 50 years to 80 years who had a Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI) score of five or greater to either Mindfulness-Based Therapy for Insomnia (MBTI;
- n = 65) or to a Sleep Hygiene, Education and Exercise Program (SHEEP;
- PSQI and Insomnia Severity Index, as well as actigraphy- and polysomnography-measured sleep onset latency (SOL) and wake after sleep onset (WASO), served as primary outcomes.
- 95% CI, 0.96 to 0.43), with the MBTI resulting in significantly greater improvement, according to results of intention-to-treat analysis.
- The researchers noted equivalent sleep quality improvement among both groups (MBTI Cohen d = 1.19;
- They observed no significant interaction effects in objective sleep measures.