Sumary of Rookie leads TNT to rousing win over NLEX:
- Blackwater vs Phoenix Super LPGMake way for the newest star of the PBA – TNT rookie guard Mikey Williams.
- The sensational former NBA D-League stalwart finished with 36 points, torched the NLEX defenders with baskets coming from everywhere and carried the Tropang Giga to a convincing 100-85 victory Friday in the PBA Philippine Cup at the Don Honorio Ventura State University Gym in Bacolor, Pampanga.
- Williams, selected fourth overall in the rookie draft by the Tropang Giga, was simply unstoppable as none from the Road Warriors roster – from guards Jericho Cruz and Kevin Alas to swingmen Calvin Oftana, Don Trollano and their best perimeter defender Anthony Semerad – were able to keep up with the Fil-Am guard.
- There were lots of ups and downs, but tonight it went my way,” Williams said.
- ” Williams’ production was the most scored by a rookie since Ray Parks ended with 39 in the 2019 Governors Cup during the game between Blackwater and TNT.
- Williams’ explosive game also inspired the other members of the team to make their own contribution.
- } Kib Montalbo, usually a reliever for Williams and veteran guard Jayson Castro, had his own share of the spotlight as he contributed 13 points.
- Roger Pogoy added 13 and Poy Erram and Kelly Williams had 10 points apiece for the Tropang Giga who improved their league-leading record to 7-1. The Road Warriors (4-4) dropped a few notches in the standings following back-to-back losses, including a tough double overtime setback against Magnolia Hotshots on Wednesday.