Sumary of Some Mask Mandates Lifted Where Covid-19 Cases Are Falling:
- Topline Illinois’ statewide indoor mask mandate could be lifted by the holidays if Covid-19 transmission in the state continues to decline, Gov.
- Pritzker said Tuesday, part of a broader trend of officials relaxing or dropping mask mandates—or suggesting they could soon—as Covid-19 cases go down nationwide following a summer surge.
- A storefront sign reminds people of the mask mandate on July 19 in Los Angeles.
- AFP via Getty Images Key Facts Pritzker said the holidays were an “important marker” for Illinois to lift its indoor mask mandate and other “mitigations,” but noted the state’s Covid-19 metrics would have to continue to trend downward in order for that to happen and declined to give a specific threshold.
- The city of Chicago will only lift its local mandate when there are fewer than 200 recorded Covid-19 cases per day, versus the 245 it’s recording now on average, and the city’s health commissioner said Monday it will stay in place for “at least another couple of weeks.
- ” In California’s Bay Area, San Francisco County and Marin County have lifted some indoor mask requirements—for places like offices, gyms and religious gatherings, which all have a vaccine requirement—and Costra County will relax its mask order November 1, after nearby Santa Cruz County lifted its indoor mandate entirely in September.
- At least six towns and cities in Connecticut dropped their indoor mask mandates last week, and mask mandates have also recently been lifted in counties in Nevada, Florida and North Carolina.
- School districts in such states as Ohio, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri and Texas have dropped mask mandates due to declining Covid-19 metrics, and at least one district in Massachusetts lifted its mask order after enough students and staff members were vaccinated to meet the state’s threshold for lifting its mandate.