Sumary of Swim Couch to 5K plan encourages Britons to train for summer fitness:
- With gyms in Britain shut for much of last year, almost a million people downloaded an NHS-backed fitness app over three months in an attempt to get up off the sofa and out for a run..
- Now the Outdoor Swimming Society has launched a free Swim Couch to 5K programme – echoing the Public Health England programme Couch to 5K – to encourage three months of training for a summer solstice challenge in the sea or in a lake, pool or river..
- The scheme, the brainchild of Kate Rew, founder of the OSS, is aimed at competent swimmers who want to improve their front crawl, and aficionados less fit after the UK lockdown..
- I thought it would be really lovely for swimmers to have a plan to follow to get us out of the doldrums and off our couches to pave us towards midsummer,”.
- “This kind of easy, long-distance front crawl is so fluid it is like taking a long walk, and you can go on for hours,”.
- Daniel Bullock, the director of Swim for Tri, devised the programme, which began as British summertime started….