Sumary of Walk This Way if You Want to Reduce Stubborn Body Fat, Say Experts:
- “Walking can help anyone trying to lose weight and get lean, and the best part of walking is that it doesn’t require equipment, is accessible to most people, and is low impact,” says Steve Stonehouse, NASM-CPT, USATF certified run coach, and director of education for STRIDE.
- According to Stonehouse, belly fat is typically the trickiest weight to lose.
- Belly fat, also known as “visceral” fat, is considered harmful to health in excess.
- Visceral fat also releases free fatty acids, which affects cholesterol production.
- Luckily walking, like other forms of moderate- to high-intensity exercises, can help fight belly fat.
- In fact, a 2014 study in the journal Physical Activity and Nutrition found that walking three days a week for 12 weeks was effective at burning belly fat, especially for older women.
- Still: “It’s important to recognize though that you can’t necessarily target belly fat with walking alone, but rather as you’re burning fat and getting leaner and more defined overall, you’ll likely see reductions in your belly fat as well,” says Stonehouse.
- That said, there are a few ways to make your walk more challenging and geared towards blasting belly fat as best as possible.