Sumary of World Osteoporosis Day: Delay bone loss with timely prevention:
- Listen to this article Osteoporosis, or the weakening of bones in layman terms, is a widely prevalent health concern.
- And so, the earlier you start taking care of your bone health, the better your overall health will be in your later years.
- These fractures often go unnoticed even when they are caused by osteoporosis, which does not show major symptoms until things go bad, explains Dr GV Reddy, Senior Consultant – Orthopedics, Joint Replacement and Arthroscopy, Manipal Hospitals, Vijayawada.
- This is usually caused by a collapsed vertebra Past fractures can often lead to osteoporosis, as the bones are weak and it takes longer to heal Right posture always plays an essential role in a healthy spine and the rest of the bones too.
- Joint Replacement, Jaypee Hospital (Noida), suggests for protection and strengthening of your bones: Eliminate unhealthy habits like drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, smoking and consumption of unhealthy food.
- However, supplementation might be suggested Engage in regular weight-bearing exercises Consult your doctor regarding bone health and whether you require an examination for bone density Use osteoporosis medications should you need it Also Read: Are you at risk of getting osteoporosis?
- Image courtesy: Shutterstock Mental health concerns around osteoporosis Osteoporosis is a silent ailment that people do not pay attention to, till a fracture shows up, reminds Dr Reddy.