Sumary of Zimbabwe: Unvaccinated Top Covid-19 Deaths, Parliament Told:
- Nearly 90 percent of Covid-19-related deaths in Zimbabwe are of people who had not been vaccinated, a development that underlines the importance of vaccination against the pandemic, legislators have heard.
- Health and Child Care Deputy Minister Dr John Mangwiro said research done by experts has shown that there is merit in Government’s vaccination drive since most of those that had been vaccinated have higher chances of survival.
- Deputy Minister Mangwiro said this in the National Assembly while responding to questions from backbenchers.
- ” Dr Mangwiro said while vaccination did not guarantee eternity, it was the way to go.
- He was responding to Norton legislator Temba Mliswa, who sought to discredit the vaccination exercise.
- The Government, said Dr Mangwiro, was determined to attain herd immunity — a threshold of the required population which minimises the cycle of transmission of the virus.
- Turning to recruitment of nurses, Dr Mangwiro said they were going to decentralise the process to take on board eligible candidates from all provinces.
- ” Meanwhile, Women Affairs, Community and Small and Medium Enterprises Development Minister Dr Sithembiso Nyoni said they had come up with several interventions to assist those being subjected to gender-based violence.