Sumary of 80 suspected overdose deaths in Waterloo region so far this year:
- Eighty people in Waterloo region have died from suspected overdoses so far this year.
- The Waterloo Region Integrated Drugs Strategy provided updated numbers on Tuesday.
- “It’s absolutely devastating — the folks that we have lost to opioid addictions,” said Helen Fishburn, CEO of the Canadian Mental Health Association Waterloo Wellington.
- In 2020, there were a total of 102 suspected overdose deaths in the region.
- A spike in drug use Fishburn said there has been increased use and abuse of drugs during the pandemic.
- With still more than a month left in 2021, this year’s number is the highest since at least 2018, the earliest year data has been released online by Waterloo Region Integrated Drug Strategy.
- Toxic supply On Tuesday, the region issued an overdose alert after light blue, teal or turquoise fentanyl, causing an increased risk of overdoses, was found in the community.