Sumary of A sweet solution to hard brain implants:
- Over time, implants trigger a foreign body response, creating inflammation and scar tissue around the implant that reduces their effectiveness..
- Stress between the implant and the tissue caused by constant movement of the brain with respect to the implant signals the body to treat the implant as a foreign object..
- A team of researchers from The Neuro (Montreal Neurological Institute-Hospital) and McGill’s Department of Biomedical Engineering found a solution using silicone and sugar..
- They adopted classical cooking techniques of sugar melting, caramelizing and molding both for making the implant, as well as for encapsulating it into a needle made of hardened sugar..
- Examining brain tissue three and nine weeks after implantation, the team found higher neuronal density and lower foreign body response compared to traditional implants….