Sumary of Accidentally killing someone can lead to PTSD, addiction, and even suicidal thoughts, yet there's minimal support for people in this position:
- Causing a death can lead to severe mental health issues, including PTSD and self-harm.
- Insider spoke to mental health professionals about how people can overcome such a tragic event.
- Actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins while filming his upcoming movie “Rust” on October 21. In doing so, he joins a small group of people known as accidental killers or CADIs — Causing Accidental Death or Injury.
- Four people spoke to Insider’s Anna Medaris Miller and Erin Snodgrass about their own experiences of becoming accidental killers.
- Despite the long-term mental health impact, there aren’t many resources available for people who find themselves in this position.
- Psychologists spoke to Insider about the mental health burden faced by accidental killers and what they can do to move forward.
- There’s minimal research on and resources for accidental killersRachel Cavallaro is a licensed psychologist who works with mental health service provider Thriveworks in Boston and specializes in trauma, depression , and addiction.
- She told Insider the research around people who cause deaths is sparse, and usually relates to veterans in combat.