Sumary of Alcohol risks – from putting on weight to cancer – and how to cut down:
- Dr Don Grant said: “The dangers of alcohol have been documented extensively over the years.
- “Many assume that alcohol is only a threat when consumed in large quantities, but that isn’t the case,” Dr Grant continued.
- “Drinking four to six units of alcohol, roughly amounting to two large glasses of wine or two pints of beer, will produce significant changes in your brain chemistry.
- “GP Dr Ross Perry pointed out that “alcohol actually exacerbates mental illness”.
- The charity Alcohol Change UK noted that the feelings of euphoria and feeling “relaxed” from drinking is short-lived.
- Long-term consequences of drinking alcohol over a longer period of time can lead to (or worsen) low mood and/or anxiety.
- Not only does alcohol contribute to physical and mental health issues, the substance can also affect your appearance.
- Drinking can lead to weight gain”When we’ve been drinking alcohol, the hormone that makes you feel hungry goes up, which often leads to bingeing on the wrong foods,” warned Dr Perry.