Sumary of Analysis: Biden’s vaccine mandate signals a White House done with persuasion:
- ”Biden’s vaccine mandates for all federal employees and larger companies come as the number of infections in the United States rises, the use of face masks return, newly opened schools shut, hospital beds fill up, and some Republican-led states defy recommendations from health officials.
- “It’s a little bit like his early views of Republicans on Capitol Hill, that you can persuade them through the right words and right demeanor.
- Public backs mandates, Democrats claimThe last two months have been politically challenging for the president, aides and allies said.
- As anxiety about the virus fueled concerns about the economic recovery, the chaotic Afghanistan withdrawal drew criticism from Republicans and Democrats and sparked finger-pointing inside the administration.
- The president’s net approval among independent voters sank from 17 percentage points in February to zero in August, according to Reuters/Ipsos polling.
- Private polling by Biden allies viewed by Reuters shows broad public consensus that the pandemic remains a major problem requiring action, and growing resentment against people unwilling to get shots.