Sumary of DR ELLIE CANNON answers: Why did my husband suddenly become so anxious on holiday:
- For example, anxiety and depression can be symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- For the past few years my blood pressure has been slightly high – but just the top number.
- When we talk about blood pressure, we quote two numbers – 120/80, for instance, which is said as ‘120 over 80’.
- This is the pressure on the vascular system when the heart pumps, so is a higher pressure.
- The second, or bottom, number is called diastolic and is the pressure between pumps, when the heart is relaxed.
- High blood pressure is a major risk factor for a number of severe and potentially life-threatening problems such as heart attacks, stroke and heart failure.
- For most people, we aim for blood pressure to be consistently less than 135/85.It is really important for blood pressure to be taken from a series of readings, not just once.
- To get a true picture of what is going on, the guidelines now recommend blood pressure readings are taken twice a day at home across seven days.