Sumary of Final England-India Test cancelled over Covid concerns:
- ” India cancelled their final training session and mandatory pre-match press conference on Thursday after reports that a physiotherapist who had been in close contact with the players had tested positive for Covid.
- Reports said several Indian players had expressed concerns over the potential spread of the virus and were unwilling to play, meaning they could not put out a team.
- ” ECB chief executive Tom Harrison told Sky Sports: “The officials had tried to give players as many different assurances as we could but there was anxiety in the dressing room.
- Rescheduling the fifth Test is complicated by the imminent re-start of the lucrative Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament, which resumes in the United Arab Emirates on Sept 19. The IPL, which started in India, was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic earlier this year.
- “The players are concerned about their involvement in that and the BCCI is no doubt concerned about that tournament,” he said.