Sumary of High caffeine consumption may be associated with increased risk of blinding eye disease:
- Consuming large amounts of daily caffeine may increase the risk of glaucoma more than three-fold for those with a genetic predisposition to higher eye pressure according to an international, multi-center study..
- The research led by the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is the first to demonstrate a dietary — genetic interaction in glaucoma..
- The study results published in the June print issue of Ophthalmology may suggest patients with a strong family history of glaucoma should cut down on caffeine intake..
- It looks at the impact of caffeine intake on glaucoma, and intraocular pressure (IOP) which is pressure inside the eye..
- “We previously published work suggesting that high caffeine intake increased the risk of the high-tension open angle glaucoma among people with a family history of disease..
- In this study we show that an adverse relation between high caffeine intake and glaucoma was evident only among those with the highest genetic risk score for elevated eye pressure,”.
- A team of researchers used the UK Biobank, a large-scale population-based biomedical database supported by various health and governmental agencies..
- They answered repeated dietary questionnaires focusing on how many caffeinated beverages they drink daily, how much caffeine-containing food they eat, the specific types, and portion size….