Sumary of Six common symptoms of anxiety often misdiagnosed as something else – when to see a doctor:
- Symptoms of anxiety which can be mistaken for other health problemsWhile anxiety is largely a component of mental health, it can show physical symptoms that could confuse some sufferers.
- Dr Touroni explained: “Any physical symptoms of anxiety – such as palpitations, difficulty breathing, nausea or chest or stomach pain – can be mistaken for physical health issues.
- “These might include cardiac problems, respiratory issues or gastrointestinal conditions.
- “But this can happen the other way around too: some physical health problems may present as anxiety.
- So, if you’re worried about any physical symptoms, it’s good to consult a GP.
- “According to Mr Watts, chest pains are one of the common symptoms that can drive people to the hospital with a “suspected heart attack”.
- He explained: “Others can be baffling and defy all medical diagnoses, which is when it is assumed that anxiety is at the root of it.
- Dr Touroni said: “The physical symptoms of a panic attack might feel so overwhelming that someone genuinely thinks they’re going to die.