Sumary of The religious discrimination bill is not just words – it will make LGBTIQ+ Australians sick:
- The Morisson government’s religious discrimination bill was introduced to parliament on Thursday.
- Research tells us, this has the potential to harm the health and well-being of sexual and gender diverse Australians.
- Prime Minister Scott Morrison introduced the religious discrimination bill to the lower house on Thursday.
- Mick Tsikas/AAP Such statements could definitively harm the mental health of gender and sexual minorities.
- Another example comes from a trans man who was seeking access to hormone therapy: The doctor commented on my need for testosterone – was it for a beard?
- When sexual and gender diverse populations experience discrimination and stigma, these health inequalities get even worse.
- Previous research has shown that experiencing stigma and discrimination affects stress hormone levels and, more broadly, that chronic exposure to these stressors can damage the body by activating our physiological systems (think “flight or flight” responses).
- In turn, these imbalances can lead to increased levels of psychological distress, anxiety and depression, high blood pressure and cholesterol, and various indicators of disease at the cellular level.