Sumary of Why does heart scarring cause abnormal rhythms in some people but not others?:
- Scientists have shed light on why some people who have a stroke do not also have abnormal heart rhythms, even though their hearts contain similar scar tissue..
- Strokes are often caused by abnormal blood flow resulting from rapid, irregular beating in the upper chamber of the heart..
- explains first author Savannah Bifulco, a graduate student at the Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle, US..
- They compared the amount and location of the scar tissue in the upper-left heart chamber across all samples and then used simulations to test whether it was still possible to trigger an abnormal heart rhythm..
- explains co-senior author Patrick Boyle, Assistant Professor of Bioengineering, who leads the Cardiac Systems Simulation Lab at the University of Washington….