Sumary of ‘Winter in Canberra is chilly’: the capital is in lockdown, and $33 a day is cold comfort for the unemployed:
- On a day when the ACT chief minister announced another two dozen Covid cases, Knight went down to the shops thinking he had $28 to his name.
- He lives on $44 a day, with a quarter deducted for his flat in an ACT public housing complex.
- “One of the main reasons I can’t get work is I’ve got depression and anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder from the way I was treated by my employer.
- The last job he held was as a maintenance man at one of Sydney’s wealthy private schools.
- “I chose high school maintenance as a job because I’d been told that was the least stressful job in the world,” he says.
- But high school maintenance man is listed as the least stressful job in the world.