Sumary of Children of people who used weed during pregnancy may have a higher risk of severe anxiety and aggression, a small study finds:
- They also analyzed the children’s behaviors until age 6. Existing research on cannabis use and offspring outcomes is limited and inconclusive, so doctors suggest abstaining.
- As an increasing number of pregnant people consider cannabis as an alternative for nausea and pain relief, studying the ways it can affect a pregnant person and their babies has become vital, Yasmin L.
- Existing research remains limited and isn’t conclusive, so doctors suggest pregnant people abstain from using cannabis throughout gestation, Insider previously reported.
- When the babies turned 3, researchers tested their hair and heart rates to analyze their responses to stress.
- The study authors performed these tests until the babies turned 6. They found babies whose mothers used cannabis during pregnancy were more likely to have had underfunctioning placental tissue, which can decrease immune system response, according to the study authors.