Sumary of Covid has caused ‘hidden pandemic of orphanhood’, says global study:
- An estimated 1.5 million children worldwide under the age of 18 have lost a parent, grandparent or caregiver due to Covid-19, according to a global study.
- Researchers extrapolated Covid-19 mortality data and national fertility statistics for 21 countries to produce the global estimates.
- ”The HIV and Ebola epidemics have shown how to help bereaved children, said co-author Prof Lucie Cluver, from Oxford University and the University of Cape Town.
- “We need to support extended families or foster families to care for children, with cost-effective economic strengthening, parenting programs, and school access.
- The researchers estimate that in England and Wales, 8,497 children have been made orphans during the pandemic, either as a direct result of Covid or because of “excess deaths”.