Sumary of Pregnancy After Stem Cell Transplantation: What You Need To Know:
- On April 8, 2021 Pregnancy after stem cell transplant has often been a subject of concern and received much attention..
- Stem cell transplantation is a procedure in which healthy stem cells are administered to patients with dysfunctional or depleted bone marrow..
- This process helps improve bone marrow functionality and allows either killing of the cancerous cells or the generation of healthy cells to replace those that are dysfunctional..
-  To mention, stem cells are those special cells in the body that have the ability to develop into any cell types in an organism and can also self-renew themselves, while bone marrow is a soft tissue in the centres of the bones that manufactures and store stem cells..
- Women who have undergone or going to start with stem cell transplantation are often concerned about their fertility and chances of getting pregnant after the procedure..
- Though transplantation helps increase the survival rate in people with certain cancer types such as leukaemia or lymphoma, the patients often experience fertility issues due to damage to the reproductive organs such as ovaries by the pretransplant conditioning protocols..
- Damage caused due to stem cell transplantation to women can make them permanently infertile, while others can regain their fertility..
- alkylating agents and irradiation combined can cause more damage to the fertility of women compared to the use of a single method for the treatment..
-  Also, the rate of recovery is higher, around 79 per cent, in women who have age less than 25 and have not undergone the full-body irradiation regimens with no immunosuppressive therapy, compared to those whose age was more and have received total body irradiation….