Sumary of Texas Abortion Law: What Are My Options Now?:
- Share on PinterestThere are many informative websites and nonprofits that have been established to help people seeking abortion care.
- Maskot/Getty ImagesTexas now has the most restrictive abortion law in the nation.
- The state’s 6-week abortion law has created a lot of uncertainty for both patients and abortion service providers.
- Many people are now seeking legal alternatives to access safe abortion, which is proving costly with out-of-state transport and time off work.
- There are many funds that can help with costs, as well as online resources for information and legal or medical advice.
- Senate Bill 8, or the Texas abortion law, as it’s more commonly known, went into effect last week after the U.S. Supreme Court refused to block it.
- Since then, people who are more than 6 weeks pregnant have been left without access to safe abortion in the southern state.
- The controversial law prohibits abortion as soon as cardiac activity can be detected in the embryo, which can be as early as 6 weeks.